Official Upcoming Release Schedule!

Due to changes in how my publisher assigns dates, I won't have release dates until I finish the book. I'm currently working on:

Taking the Realm which is book 3 of Sha and Connor's trilogy (previously titled Shaking the Balance)

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review of Dead Like Me by Kelly Miller!!!

Hello lovelies! Today I have the pleasure of reviewing a fantabulous mystery called Dead Like Me by Kelly Miller! Kelly approached me to review her book and I really liked the title so I immediately jumped on it. Who doesn't love a good mystery, right? She kindly sent me a paperback (freaking ADORE when authors can provide review copies in paperback) and away I went reading the first page.

I quickly realized several things right off the bat. I was blindly reading with only a blurb to read the book. To give you a little background, I like to open books in the bookstore and read a little bit. I'm even more of a dork because I read the endings first (yes, I'm weird, I know). Ever since reviewing, I've gone into books blind and it is proving to be the greatest idea ever. Why? Because I'm getting to read books I may have walked away from.

You see, I used to only read romance genre and I have always disliked first person books. It's not something I can explain, but it's how I work. Well, Dead Like Me is written in first person AND it's not a romance. And guess what? The world didn't end because I left my comfort zone. In fact....

I freaking LOVED it. So, who wants the review?!

Review of Dead Like Me

About the book:
Publisher: Black Rose Writing
Page Length: 226 pages
My source for the book: Paperback provided by author in exchange for honest review
Genre: Mystery
Price: $7.99 (Kindle), $16.95 (Paperback)
Description (from Amazon.com):

On edge after a two-week mandatory leave, Detective Kate Springer is blindsided when she discovers she shares a link with Tampa's newest murder victim-a troubled teen found strangled and dumped in a remote part of town. The bond between them threatens to expose Detective Springer's past-a past she's been hell bent on keeping secret. When the killer finally emerges from the shadows, Kate's secrets aren't the only thing on the line. So is her life.





WHAT I LIKED:

This was completely beyond the realm of what I normally read. I don't usually care for first person and I generally prefer romance. That being said, this book hooked me from the very first chapter. It was exciting, kept me on the edge of my seat, and I adored the characters. There was plenty of humor and sarcasm to the dialect and Kate's personality was amazing. It is rare that I can so completely drop into a book as fast as I did with Dead Like Me. 

Life has been hectic and I couldn't always find time to read, but this was one of those stories that stuck with you, poking at you to squeeze in 10 minutes to find out what happens next. The relationship between Kate and Patrick was very well done and it was obvious how much they cared about each other. All in all, this book had some of the best characters I've read in a while and had a great plot.


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

There really wasn't anything I didn't like. Kate keeps a secret from her partner through the bulk of the story and while I understood her reasons, there were times that I wanted to reach into the pages and shake her and say "Patrick will understand!! Tell him!!" That being said, I'm glad Kelly Miller approached things the way she did.


OVERALL VERDICT: 5/5 Blue Duckies!!!


This was a phenomenal book and I CANNOT wait to see more from this author. If you're looking for a fantastic mystery on par with the mysteries of J.D. Robb (just without the romance), definitely check out this book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment